Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Dilbert Moment of the Day..

Background: My boss, whom I adore, is the Director of Marketing/Advertising at our company, and has announced recently that he'll be leaving come end of February. He's been here for about 30 years. Background to background: Reason behind the leave-- He & I recently got a new VP, 20 yrs his junior, who started here as head of Sales, and then recently was given not only a VP title, but also given our Marketing/Advertising department to run as well. It made a new layer between my boss and the President. All in all, my boss was made to feel outmoded, and out of synch with what the new VP wanted had planned for the Marketing/Advertising area.

My boss finally decided he's too old for this crap, so is hitting the road and bowing out gracefully.

So, back to the Dilbert moment: I was called into the VP office to discuss 07 print advertising and what new ads would focus on: brand or specific products...we talked about the pros and cons of each type of ad...and then the VP of Sales/Marketing & Advertising says to me:

"I don't know what the answer is here....(sigh)...I just wish I knew about advertising."

So I ask you: Did he think he was saying this to himself?! Does he realize he said that out loud to someone he needs to get to rally behind him?!!

It's like being in a plane, it's in trouble/turbulence has hit, and a pilot turns and says to the passengers, "gee I sure wish I knew how to fly a plane.."

Needless to say, on March 2nd, when my boss leaves, there I'll be hanging onto his legs, being dragged out the door trying to make him stay (or perhaps take me with him!)

Trying to keep the chin up and be a good soldier, but wow it's hard when you hear stuff like that. I officially put in a vote of no cofidence.

No comments: