Friday, July 14, 2006

Like Purses or Shoes--or kids...Can't choose the favorite



tv is good.

So said an ABC campaign in the 97/98 season...I remember it distinctly. I had a TV Guide page with the ad ripped out and taped on my office door. How can you put it better? You can't.

This blog is new...I have such fun reading others that I thought I'd start scribing my own thoughts/etc. If no one comes to read, that's fine...I honestly don't care...I love to go on, and maybe someone will stumble across something that strikes a chord, and maybe not...

So since everyone who knows me realizes the "couch potato" I was as a child...and sometimes can continue to be--I figured I would reveal a bit more about myself through the wonderful world of television.

So, rather than the usual "100 things about me" (but I fear that I too may need to do one of those lists...Because how I do love lists..) Here is something just as telling: My favorite TV series.

Favorite shows are like old friends, or favorite books---You know the stories by heart, but you still tell or read them --or watch them-- over and again. And if it's a genuine friend, story, book, movie or TV show, you never out-grow nor tire of them

So then, here are my favorites, in no particular order; for what is a blog if it's not stream of consciousness?

I Love Lucy--the grande dame of them all. Yes, I will laugh every time the bread pours from the oven, Ricky trips on rice covering the kitchen floor--and Lucy exchanges glares with Carolyn Appleby and Little Stevie.

Upstairs Downstairs -- If you know this show, if you love it as I do, you are already a step towards being my friend. I came across this show having nothing better to do one wintry weekend (I was single at the time). I was already a big fan of British period films, so this was no stretch for me...I had heard of this show growing up from my mom, who watched it faithfully during its run in the 70's on PBS. (I believed it premiered the same year I did: 1971). If only Mom had lived long enough...She died a few months before I started watching the show. I think maybe it was a way to look for a connection to her that I picked it up in the first place. Anyway, I get sad that I ended up loving it as much as she did because I think how we could have had countless discussions about the Bellamy's and their staff downstairs including Mrs Bridges...Mr. Hudson..and of course dear Rose....Every time Fall hits I get an itch to get under a blanket and visit #165 Eaton Place. Especially when I see Mrs. Bridges make up the hot cocoa.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer. You may laugh...wonder why--but my guess is if you don't 'get' why it's on a top list then you never gave it a chance nor saw it. For those who don't watch---y'know it's not about the monsters, the sci-fi aspect. It's about a girl coming of age. The story lines may be about the vampires, spells, and slaying, but underneath it all it's about a girl.

There was a time when I would roll my eyes any time one of my friends at work would mention the show. It was during the 7th season that I took my friend's vhs collection of season 1 home (she taped it each week). I was coming in with circles under my eyes every morning to work because I would do Buffy marathons each night. I had to fess up and say that for all the mocking I did to the people who had their Buffy recap discussions---I finally understood what all the hub-bub was about. And I embraced it.

The writing, the acting..everything just comes together so well. It was cast perfectly--I mean..who else could be Giles if not "that guy from the Taster's Choice commercials?" (I used to love that guy--he was probably the reason I started watching in the first place!)

I could go on and on about this show..but I'll save it for future posts.

And to continue my list, but no more boring commentary--because I DO tend to go on...here are my other favorites:
SCTV (Eugene Levy you are a god.)
Arrested Development ("Beads. BEES?! Beads! BEADS?!":...GOB's not on board." I about lose it every time I see that scene)
The Office "Dwight thinks it's Friday so that's what I'm going to be doing this afternoon"
Project Runway Yes, I do cross into the reality stuff once in awhile...this one is so great--it's got style & snark!
Big Brother ("What up Kay-sar?!"...yes I am a sucker for this show.)
Top Chef I was hooked on this as well...somehow found myself drawn to host Chef Tom C. Must be the bald head...
The Brady Bunch when reruns came on, my sister and I used to have a game of who could identify the episode first....cut throat. Then I would talk along with the characters seeing as I know most of the dialogue. (Quick Quiz: "Refreshment time!!"--name that episode and character)
Leave it to Beaver the earlier years, before voice changes. I think you could probably make a drinking game out of not only how often you hear "Beaver" but the phrase "Gee, Dad"
Benson OK, I have been saying since I could remember that if I could work at TVLand THIS is the show --or one of them--that I'd program...finally someone over there has a brain and did just that. I was a kid when it was on ages ago and I looved it. I watch now and you know what? It holds up.
Sports Nite Speaking of Rober Guillaume...This had such great banter...I still can't explain why it's not in my DVD collection yet...(Note to self.)
Three's Company A moment of silence for the late, great, John Ritter. What a tragedy.
Santa Barbara This soap has never been out-done by any others. Again another show that if you didn't watch, you can't judge. The writing was great--and really FUNNY....Lane Davies, Justin Deas...A Martinez...Marcy Walker...Roscoe Borne..Nancy Grahn...Jed Allen...the cast was great.
The Dick Van Dyke Show Great chemistry between the characters...and I just love the cigarette pants/flat shoes look of MTM in this show....
The Cosby Show Being the 4th of 5 children I related to this. Although we had 2 boys and 3 girls....but even still when my younger sis and I would bicker one of my brothers would call us "Vanessa and Rudy"
Seinfeld
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Big Love


I have more, but if I don't stop here and post at least this much, this will end up being the never-ending post.

-Bauer Out (I forgot 24!)

No comments: